This Minecraft tutorial explains How to Make a Nether Portal in Minecraft with detailed screenshots and step-by-step instructed process.
Minecraft is the type of game that one can keep on exploring forever. Besides, the new additions from time to time just keep it even more engaging. Such a feature of the game is the doorway that connects the Overworld and the Nether. Building it means that you can go back and forth between both dimensions. However, you won’t find the doorway already built. Therefore, the question now is how to make a Nether Portal in Minecraft?
In this article, there will be a step-by-step guide about building the portal, how to access it, what equipment is necessary for the construction, and other details.
After going through it, you will be able to easily build a Nether portal wherever and whenever you want.
Nether – Overview
Before we go into the details, a little overview of the Nether and its portal is necessary. The Nether, as told above, is one of the three dimensions available in Minecraft. Its theme is that of a dark reddish and orangy color. To be more precise, it gives a hell-like look.
Moreover, there are multiple mobs that you will be dealing with that are not available in the overworld. These include piglins, hoglins, wither, and enderman. Additionally, the biomes that you will find are the Crimson forest, Warped Forest, Soul Sound Valley, Nether Wastes, and Basalt Deltas.
You can explore all these biomes once you enter the Nether. And for that purpose, a portal is required. Without it, it is not possible to travel between different dimensions. It is not very difficult to build and won’t take much of your time as well.
You will respawn in the Overworld if you die in the Nether for some reason. Besides, all your inventory items will be left behind in the Nether as well.
How to Make a Nether Portal in Minecraft?
Before building the portal, you will require three things. Obsidian, Flint & Steel, and Fire Charge. The minimum size of a Nether portal is 4×5 with the max being 23×23. There are multiple processes before we get to the end result.
Step 1: Mining Obsidian Blocks
First and foremost, we need to get obsidian. It is made by pouring water into lava and mining it through the diamond pickaxe.
Here’s how to do it.
1. Gather water in your water bucket
2. Go near any lava and pour the water into it
3. After the mixture, the lava will cool down and then you have to fetch back the water
4. Now the blocks will turn into obsidian and you can easily mine them with the diamond pickaxe
Step 2: Making Flint and Steel
The Flint and Steel tool are necessary to power up the Nether Portal. However, creating it is not as easy as mining obsidian blocks. For this purpose, you will require iron and gravel. Gravel can be mined easily and after some time flint will appear eventually. Contrarily, the iron ore will be smelted to make iron ingots.
1. Open the furnace and put the iron ore into the top square
2. At the bottom, place things that can light up or burn the furnace. The fuel can include coal, wood, and other stuff that can be ignited.
3. Now you will get an iron ingot
4. Place it in your inventory
This is how you make iron ingots. Now moving on to making Flint and Steel, here’s how to do it.
1. Open the crafting table and put a single iron ingot into the top left square
2. Flint needs to be placed in the exact center of the table
3. Once done, you will get the Flint and Steel tool
Step 3: Making a Fire Charge (Alternative)
The Flint and Stell tool will do the job just as well but if you want to make a fire charge as well then it is up to you.
For this purpose, you need blaze powder, gunpowder, and coal. Once collected, follow the steps below.
1. Open the crafting table and place the gunpowder in the top left column
2. Put single blaze powder in the top middle column
3. Place single coal in the top right column
4. Three fire charges will be created
5. Place them in your inventory
Step 4: Building the Nether Portal
So once we gather all the necessary tools, now it is time to get to the real work. For building the nether portal, you will require 14 obsidian blocks to begin with. However, you can make a bigger portal as well by using more obsidian.
Follow the steps below to make the Nether portal.
1. To begin with, place down 4 obsidian blocks
2. On the most left and right blocks, put 4 more above them
3. Now to complete the portal, place two more obsidian blocks at the top to complete the structure
4. Now you have the option to choose either Flint and steel or fire charge
5. After selecting, move either of them from your inventory to the Hotbar
6. Now ignite the Nether portal
For PC: Just right-click on any obsidian block
For Mobile: Simply tap on any obsidian block
For Console: Press the left-trigger button by selecting the obsidian block
Note: The triggering is to be done by clicking or tapping on the inner side of the obsidian blocks
Now all you have to do is step inside the portal and start exploring a totally new dimension.
So this was all about how to make Nether Portal in Minecraft. It isn’t very difficult and would just take a minute or two if you already have the equipment ready. It is a great dimension to explore and complete the survival mode as well by defeating the Ender Dragon.
Just keep in mind that the mobs can travel back and forth from the Nether to Overworld. So, you might have to deal with them.